Why Picking the Smaller Hotel on our Honeymoon Turned Out to be the “Nice”r Choice, Part 1

Our Honeymoon to the Maldives wasn’t the usual trip. There was no scuba diving, no snorkeling, no dolphin tours, and no endless sunbathing. It was very enjoyable but completely unexpected in so many ways. One of those ways was the fact that the most enjoyable night of our honeymoon was our last… and it was not where we had planned.


The Maldives is known for its beauty. Sparkling white sand speckles every inch of coast on each of the country’s 1,192 islands, 192 of which are inhabited. The people are equally as beautiful, socially speaking, as they are friendly and accommodating in every way. While being the smallest Asian country, the Maldives makes up for it in its infinite horizons and overabundance of sun. The only problem was, this honeymoon, was primarily cloudy.

Out of the three nights and four days we stayed at the Medhufushi Resort and Spa, three of them were filled with rain and thunderstorms. While we didn’t mind, it certainly complicated our plans to soak up some rays on the beach. We spent the majority of IMG_1869our vacation in our cute, quaint, and quiet bungalow, switching between reading fanciful novels on our porch and listening to the pitter-patter of rainfall on the hut’s thatched roof. However, our biggest obstacle had to do with our last day.

We had planned to stay four nights on the island and leave early on the fifth day but had overlooked the Maldivian transportation systems. How it works is as follows:

  1. You fly in to Male International Airport.
  2. Your hotel/resort arranges for your pick-up and travel from airport via boat or seaplane, depending on island’s distance.
  3. On departure day, your hotel transports you back to Male’s Airport in a similar fashion for you to catch your plane home.

IMG_1841But we had overlooked our flight times. In order to make your flight you must get there an hour in advance. With seaplanes averaging about an hour travel time, and our flight leaving at 7:00 am, we would have had to leave Medhufushi at approx. 4:30 in the morning. This was impossible as the earliest seaplane was set to depart for Male at 8:00 am. Uh-oh! In order to make our flight, we would have to leave the day before and stay in a hotel near the airport. So we booked a hotel near the airport… or so we thought.

While we waited for our plane, the storms would not let up. “The sea was angry that day!” as I told my wife time and time again in my best scruffy Captain’s voice. So as we sipped tea in the island’s bar that was perched on a pier fifty yards off shore, our imagination had plenty of time to play fun games with us. Games like, ‘How can a plane land in such choppy waters?” Or “How does a 14-seater seaplane disperse lightning strikes?”

So we waited.

To Be Continued…